If you own horses and want to transport them safely then you need to have the right type of vehicle. A lot of people use a horse trailer, which is essentially just a large box that you tow with your regular vehicle.
However you can also use a horsebox, which is a dedicated vehicle that’s specially designed for transporting horses. If you do own a horsebox then you need to make sure you get the right type of insurance. Below are the main types of horsebox insurance as well as some ways to save money.
Types of cover
- Road risks – The minimum level of cover you’ll need to make your horsebox road legal is third party only. This will ensure that if you’re involved in a collision that you’re to blame for, then other road users will be protected. To get more protection for your own vehicle, you can get a third party, fire and theft policy; or fully comprehensive.
- Replacement vehicle – If your vehicle were to be damaged and needed to be repaired then you can get a replacement vehicle when you have this type of cover included in your policy.
- Breakdowns – As a horsebox owner, you certainly want to be prepared for breakdowns. If you don’t already have cover in place then most providers will give you the option of having it included in your policy.
- Pay annually – If you can pay for your policy annually rather than monthly then this is a very good way to make a saving on the overall cost of your horsebox insurance since most providers prefer when you are able to pay like this.
- Get a limited mileage policy – If you only use your horsebox at certain times i.e. for special events or shows, then you can get what is known as a limited mileage policy. This is where you agree with your insurance provider to stay below a certain number of miles in a given period. This is another great way you can save money on horsebox insurance.
- Shop around – One of the best ways to save money is by getting quotes from as many insurance providers as possible. This will help you to get a policy at the best price.